Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Coupon Math Trickery

I have a friend who takes one dollar and her coupons and shops and K-Mart during double coupon days to see how much stuff she can get (double coupons up to $2 now until 8/22).

Today was my first effort trying this little task with the collection of coupons I had gathered from the Sunday paper (my effort to keep the printing presses of America alive) and nifty online printable coupons.

The day began with the printing of online coupons, which was very frustrating because I misread expiration dates of 9/18/09 to mean yesterday instead of next month and hated the online sites for wasting my time.  I cussed then threw all the COLOR printing on the floor; very frustrating wasteful new task.  I had the "aha" moment regarding the expiration date in the shower and then thought to myself "online coupon sites are the best thing since sliced bread."  

So tonight me and the coupons go the Kmart for said double coupon sale... and lets just say the tally for being a super shoppe:  Kmart and coupons 1 : Alisa 0 

The retail price of the things I bought tallied to $73 dollars before 6% tax so I would have spent about 78 dollars and my total walk out the door price was $48 dollars.  I bought a 9 dollar clearance lamp for our lounge which was a super savings since it was regularly 39 dollars.  

So I saved $30 with my coupons, and technically $30 on the lamp but I feel like I still spent a great deal on four bags of cleaning supplies and 100 calorie cookies.  When the check out boy told me 48 dollars, I asked him to double check and see if my coupons doubled... and they had.  I was the victim of my own coupon math trickery!  

I drove home, saw a 2 foot tall package on my front step with my welcome mat draped over it like it was hiding a very large key in a box.  (why not just set the box on top of the rug... the jig is up that there is something under my mat)  My new work shoes!

So as I danced around in my new patent leather fuchsia and floral Sanita clogs (the old dansko) I thought to myself "well that 60 dollars I saved tonight pays for 1/3 of these" so I'll just keep cutting coupons until they are paid off and continue the coupon math trickery.



  

No comments:

Post a Comment